MISSISSAUGA, Ontario — The Grand Rapids Drive started their season with a solid performance on the road Friday night, defeating the Raptors 905 by a final score of 109-94. The Drive outpaced the 905 nearly the entire night, at one point leading by 20 points while shooting 51% from the field. Tonight’s victory marked Donnie Tyndall’s first win as the newly-appointed Head Coach of the Drive after serving as an Assistant Coach during the 2018-19 season.
The combination of Dakarai Allen and Louis King set the tone early in the first for Grand Rapids as Allen led with 10 points and King followed with 9 points and 3 rebounds in the first frame. Pe’Shon Howard closed out the first 12 minutes with a buzzer-beating three, giving the Drive a five-point lead (33-28) heading into the second quarter.
Howard paced the Drive the remainder of the night, leading Grand Rapids with a final stat line of 17 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists.
Pistons rookie Sekou Doumbouya, on assignment from Detroit, got on the board with 6:01 left in the second quarter with a corner three, followed by another three on the next offensive possession. Doumbouya finished with 12 points in 19 minutes of action.
Donta Hall had a huge opening night performance, earning a strong double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds along with 5 blocks. Other Drive players to finish in double figures were Dakarai Allen (16pts), Louis King (15pts & 7reb) and Craig Sword (13pts, 5reb, 3stl & 2blk).
The 905 got a team-high 24 points from Dewan Hernandez, 15 from Tyler Ennis, 14 from Oshae Brissett and 13 from Devin Robinson.
The Drive have a quick turnaround as they travel to Washington, DC to face off with the Capital City Go-Go tomorrow night while the Raptors 905 head to New York to take on the Westchester Knicks.
- Full Game Highlights >>> https://bit.ly/2WYrR71
- Box Score >>> https://on.nba.com/2NuSPQf
- Pe’Shon Howard (17pts, 8reb & 8ast) >>> https://bit.ly/33wuVcS
- Dakarai Allen (16pts on 7-10 FG) >>> https://bit.ly/2Q3j95Q
- Louis King (15pts & 7reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2K5P5mh
- Donta Hall (14pts, 11reb & 5blk) >>> https://bit.ly/2WVjWXQ
- Craig Sword (13pts, 5reb, 3stl & 2blk) >>> https://bit.ly/2Q1luOP
- Sekou Doumbouya (12pts in 19min) >>> https://bit.ly/2K4S3rd